Monday, June 25, 2012

Let there be sun

With Tropical Storm Debby still spinning not far away in the eastern gulf and still dropping rain on us the tree guys decided to do our trimming work today anyway as long as there was no lightning. Unfortunately, I missed three-quarters of the show and then stood ogling them for a while before I remembered the camera. So under a steady drizzle I caught them trimming up the last tree while holding my breath as limbs were gently lowered down from aloft. Of course, gentle is relative when the item being lowered is a weighty hunk of wood with spreading branches. I can proudly say, however, that I kept my cool and didn't get hysterical as limb upon limb was laid on my roses.

IMG_4295
First cuts have already been made, and there are already limbs at the base of the tree and hanging. Smaller ones have already landed on 'Mrs B R Cant' and been taken away - mostly.

IMG_4300
'Arcadia Louisiana Tea' is in front of the right side of the arbor, and 'Mrs B R Cant' is between the trees.
IMG_4301
The guys tried hard and did a good job of protecting the roses. There was only minor damage.
IMG_4307
But these scenes were a bit unnerving.
IMG_4308
Breathe, Sherry, breathe.
IMG_4310
I had originally wanted to have the center tree, where the pink clematis is, removed completely, but I changed my mind on Saturday as I was rearranging 'Francois Juranville'. My compromise was to have them top the tree above the clump with the clematis, so that's what they did. That should allow more light under FJ and to the shade bed, keep some shade on the bench, and give FJ something to climb on. The loss of the next limb up cost some branching to the right which surprised me. I thought the branch was on the tree by the bench. The hairiest part of the job for me was when they lowered the very top section of this 40 or 50-foot tree onto the top of the arbor. I had visions of the two sticks of rebar being badly bowed, but apparently it only looked like the weight of the tree was on the arbor or else three-quarter-inch rebar doesn't bend that easy. FJ is pretty flattened though, and lots of canes have come loose from the trees.
IMG_4312
I thought sure the roses were flattened - permanently.
IMG_4315
One by one the branches were carried away. Still not much breathing going on.
IMG_4316
Aren't tree guys amazing?
IMG_4320
More clouds rolling in, and heavier rain falling.
IMG_4336
Pretty much cleaned up. Hopefully, 'Mrs B R Cant' will bloom more and get huge, 'Arcadia Louisiana Tea' will ball less, and the daylilies will rust less. And maybe even the Sasanqua camelia in the square pot will appreciate the sun.
IMG_4337
I did step out on the path but decided against a closer inspection. The whole garden was basically flattened from more than eight inches of rain yesterday and today. I saw a large crushed daylily in the front no doubt laid upon by a heavy limb from above. What do they say about the better part of valor being discretion? In other words I chickened out, quit looking and went inside. Tomorrow's another day for assessing the damage. I don't like the looks of those gashes from the tree guy's spikes.
IMG_4340
Perhaps you can't tell it, but even on this cloudy, rainy day it was brighter under these trees. The 'Limelight' hydrangea to the left of the glass ball has not bloomed this year in total shade, so this will be a good thing.
IMG_4342
Our lake is back, and the aquifer is getting fuller. Yay!!
IMG_4338

The roses are happy about having more sun which makes the gardener happy. After all, doesn’t the gardener live to make her roses happy? DH is so-so about having less shade (and about writing the check), but doesn’t he live to make the gardener happy? (Just quoting him.) Alas, no choices in the garden are easy. On the one hand we were becoming entombed by the trees which were growing rapidly like weeds. On the other hand we love trees. Living – and gardening – is a game of trade-offs.

8 comments:

  1. Your right the Roses will love that extra sun. Makes the garden look so much brighter and noticeable also.

    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had some tree trimming scheduled this week but since it involves power lines Fla. Power canceled due to weather so our tree guy won't be out until Thursday. I'm a bit nervous as the branches that need to be cut are right over two of my best flower beds. Oh well hopefully our beds will be as lucky as your roses.. Still raining here this morning but I think it will be cleared up enough to teach at CF tomorrow. I have loved the rain though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure your roses will be happier. Once you get used to the trim job, I think you and your DH will be happier too.

    Rain is predicted for the next three days. By the time I'm able to mow the grass will look like a field. We had no rain yesterday, if it doesn't rain today, maybe I'll tackle mowing.

    Have a great day ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad for this post. It is an encouragement to me to finally get started trimming a tree in our yard that is causing some "rose shade" issues....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I caught my self holding my breath... lol and its not even my garden.... ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree. The garden now looks less cluttered, and the aerial space provides efficient distribution of sunlight onto your precious ground dwellers. Maintaining the growth of trees should be part of the routine of gardeners. We want a garden, not a jungle.

    Tia Timoteo

    ReplyDelete
  7. You were very brave, Sherry. I'm sure the extra sun for your roses is going to be worth all the worries.

    ReplyDelete